Whether you are just starting out on your own or living in the same place for years, these essential things to buy for a new house will make your life easier and help you maintain a healthy lifestyle.
This blog post will discuss those essential things to buy for a new house and why you need them!
Our list is exhaustive, and we promise to keep updating the list to your relevance. So make sure you have everything you need before you run into trouble!
What Are Essential Things To Buy for a New House?
Essential household items are the necessities that every house requires.
These essential things to buy for a new house make your life easier and help you maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Suppose you want to know the difference between essential and non-essential household items. First, it is important to note that “non-essentials” can be essential and non-essential to different people.
For example, a person who lives in a cold climate may consider a winter coat essential, while someone living in warm weather may not deem it necessary.
In general, essential household items are things that you cannot live without, such as food and water. On the other hand, non-essential items are things that make life more comfortable or enjoyable but are not essential to survival.
Essential household appliances include washing machines, dryers, and sinks.
They also include refrigerators, freezers, dishwashers, cooking stoves (except microwaves), heaters for hot water supply systems like radiators, and electric fires – even though these may be essential to some households.
If you have an essential appliance in your house, there’s a good chance you’ll need one of those other items too!
Non-essential household appliances include televisions, stereos, and home gyms (except treadmills). These are things that people often think they can live without but can make life much more comfortable.
Living without at least some of these essential household items can be difficult and frustrating – so make sure you have everything you need before you run into trouble!
Kitchen Essentials Things To Buy for a New House
A well-stocked kitchen is a must for any homeowner. You will need:
- Cooking equipment – You may also want to invest in some cooking gadgets like a slow-cooking crock pot and an electric skillet if you plan on preparing meals at home more often than not! Finally, a well-stocked kitchen is a key to success when it comes time for dinner parties with friends and family members!
- Cooking tools – Cooking tools are essential things to buy for a new house if you’re going to be preparing food regularly; choose from spatulas, whisks, tongs, etc., all of which come in handy during meal preparation processes like sauteing vegetables before adding them into soups/stews.
- Blender or food processor: This will allow you to blend or puree ingredients in a pinch, which can be very useful when cooking soups and sauces.
- Dishwasher – A dishwasher is an essential household item for any cooking space because it will keep your dishes clean and sanitized without having to use harsh chemicals on them.
- Pots and Pans – Pots and pans are a cooking staple, so it’s essential to have a few different sizes and styles in your cooking arsenal.
- Cutlery – For cooking purposes, cutlery is a necessity. You’ll need knives for chopping vegetables or meat and forks, spoons, and spatulas for cooking.
- Kitchen towels – These are essential for drying your hands after cooking and cleaning up. The towels should be absorbent enough so they don’t drip all over the place but still soft enough that you won’t feel like they’re scratching at your skin!
- Knives– having knives in your kitchen is essential because they will help you cut things like fruits and vegetables more efficiently than using scissors alone. There are three main types of knives: the paring knife (used for peeling vegetables), the chef’s knife (used to slice meat), and the utility blade (for cutting through tough foods). You can also get specialty blades like boning blades which make trimming fat off meats easier!
- Baking Supplies– if you don’t have these items, cooking will become more difficult! Baking supplies include measuring spoons, cake pans, cookie sheets lined with parchment paper, cooking spray (for non-stick cooking), and a cooling rack.
- Measuring cups – you’ll need these so that your food is cooked to perfection every time! They come in many different sizes, but the most common are four ounces of liquid (¼ cup), six ounces of dry ingredients such as flour or sugar (⅓ c), and eight ounces for baking purposes like making cookies from scratch. The smallest size measures one ounce, which would be perfect if all you wanted was an egg white substitute in cooking recipes!
- Oven Mitts – oven mitts help protect your hands when cooking hot foods at high temperatures; they also prevent burns from touching hot pans after removing them from the stovetop surface area with bare hands.
- Oven Thermometer – cooking times and temperatures can vary due to different ovens, so an oven thermometer ensures that your food is adequately cooked every time! In addition, it’s easy to use: just insert the probe into whatever you’re cooking (for example, meat) until it reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit or 75°Celsius then take off once the desired temperature has been reached. That way, there will be no guesswork involved when figuring out if something needs more cooking time because most recipes call for specific cooking temperatures.
- Pots & Pans– having these items in your kitchen is key to cooking a variety of food. There are different pots and pans that can be used for specific dishes, such as using a Dutch oven for slow cooking or making casseroles.
- Cutting Board– you’ll need this so you don’t damage your countertops while prepping fruits and vegetables! A cutting board comes in handy when you’re slicing meat as well; just make sure to wash it off with hot water and soap afterwards, so there’s no cross-contamination.
- Storage Containers – these help keep food fresh longer (depending on the material they are made out of) and help reduce the amount of time you spend cooking each night because leftovers can quickly become meals! They come in all shapes and sizes, so there’s probably one that will work perfectly for whatever needs storing.
- Reusable grocery bags are great because you don’t have to buy plastic ones every week; they’re also good if you want something more durable than paper or plastic bags, which can tear easily when carrying heavy items like jars filled with liquid (e.g., cooking oil). Plus, some people prefer reusable shopping totes to avoid wasting resources like paper products and help save money on their weekly trips by buying bulk items instead of individual ones from different stores!
- Coffee Maker
- Refrigerator and/or freezer
- Food Trays
Make sure to also stock up on spices, oils, and other ingredients that you use regularly.
Your home should be clean and tidy. So, it’s essential to have the right cleaning supplies on hand—stock up on cleaning products like dish soap, laundry detergent, and window cleaner. You can also invest in reusable cleaning cloths that are machine washable so you can use them over and over again. Having the right cleaning supplies will make it easy to keep your home clean and organized.
- Scrub brushes
- Paper towels
- Vacuum Cleaner
- Trash Bags
- Recycling bags
- Trash can
- Dishwasher detergent pods
- All-purpose cleaner
- Fabric Softener
Favorite cleaning tips: always use cleaning wipes on hard surfaces like countertops before cleaning up spills because they’ll be easier to wipe away; if you’re cleaning glass, use newspaper instead of paper towels so there won’t be any lint or streaks left behind.
- Window cleaner
- Glass cleaner
- Metal Polish
- Stainless Steel cleaner
- Wood Polish
Glass cleaning tips: use a crumpled-up piece of newspaper to clean windows and mirrors- the ink will help cut through the cleaning solution and dirt. Use a little vinegar or ammonia mixed with water for really tough spots.
- Dusting spray
- Carpet cleaning products: a vacuum cleaner with a beater brush and carpet cleaning shampoo or solution. If there’s pet hair everywhere, then try using some rubber gloves or an old sock over your hand to collect it before cleaning up spills because they’ll be easier to grab.
Whether you’re working in the yard or fixing something around the house, having tools available is essential to get things done efficiently.
Ensure all of these items are within reach in case anything breaks down unexpectedly.
- Cordless drill
- Pry bar
- Handsaw and jigsaw blades are handy for cutting through wood or metal, especially when there’s no space to use power tools like circular saws.
- Step ladder
- Tape measure
- Wall screws and anchors
- Duct tape – It’s incredible what you can accomplish with a little duct tape! Having some extra around may come in useful here.
Tool use tip: The most important thing to remember when using any tools or equipment is to read the manual before operating them. Always wear protective gear while working on projects that involve power tools like hammers or saws.
Bedroom Essential Things To Buy For a New House
- A comfortable bed is essential for a good night’s sleep.
- Sheets– preferably in light colors, won’t show dirt and sweat as quickly.
- Pillows– one per person, plus a few extras if someone else comes over.
- Blankets– a lightweight one for summer and a heavier one for winter- are necessary to keep you cozy.
- Mattress pads will help keep your bedding in good condition and make it more comfortable to sleep on.
- A Headboard can be a great addition if you want something to lean against or attach shelves or storage units to.
- Nightstands are perfect for holding lamps, books, glasses of water, and anything else you might need while you’re trying to get some shut-eye.
- Storage containers– under the bed storage is always a plus, as well as baskets that can be placed next to the bed or nightstands for easy access to whatever you might need during the night (e.g., medication, reading material, phone charger).
- Electronics like a TV, laptop, or tablet- these gadgets will keep you entertained without having to get up from your cozy spot.
- Window treatments (blinds/curtains) are essential for privacy and help block out light, so it doesn’t wake you up early in the morning on those cold winter days where even getting out of bed is difficult!
Bedroom Essentials Tips– If you want to create a relaxing atmosphere in the room, then choose warm colors like orange or red that evoke feelings of comfort and coziness; if there isn’t enough space available on walls, try using patterned wallpaper instead, which can add some visual interest without being too overwhelming (e.g., floral patterns).
The best way to keep things simple is by sticking with neutral shades such as grey or beige for furniture pieces like nightstands, dressers, and bed frames.
Accessorize with colorful throws, pillows, and curtains to brighten up the room and add a pop of personality.
- Bedroom Chairs: You can choose between the different types of chairs, such as armchairs, recliners, or rocking chairs, to make your bedroom more comfortable.
- Alarm Clock
- Full-length mirror
Bathroom Essential Things to Buy For A New House
A bathroom is an essential part of every home, and there are a few essential items that you’ll need to have to make use of it.
- Sink– with hot and cold water available
- Bathtub or shower
- Shower curtain and liner
- Towels– at least one per person, plus some extras for guests
- Robe hook(s)
- Bath mat
- Medicine cabinet– this is a great place to store toiletries like shampoo, conditioner, soap, toothpaste, razors, etc., so they’re easy to access when you need them.
Bathroom Essentials Tips– If your bathroom doesn’t have enough counter space, consider adding a bathroom vanity to give you more storage options. Another way to free up some room is by using wall-mounted shelves or racks for toiletries instead of keeping them all in the medicine cabinet.
- Toilet brush and holder
- Shower caddy
- Towel rack
- Dryer sheets
- Fabric softener
- Essential toiletry items like shampoo, conditioner, soap, and toothpaste
Laundry Essential Things to Buy For A New House
- Laundry basket or hamper
- Detergent– liquid, powder, or pods will work well for most people. However, if you have sensitive skin, look into an all-natural option that doesn’t contain bleach or harsh chemicals (e.g., Seventh Generation).
- Lint brushes– these laundry items are great for getting pet hair off clothes before washing them.
- Lint roller is handy when you need to remove lint from clothing after it’s already been washed and dried (e.g., on sweaters).
- Ironing Board Cover– There are plenty of benefits to using these items. They work by keeping your ironing surface safe from harm caused by high temperatures or steam while also making the process simpler because they’re more slippery than a normal cloth would be, resulting in fewer creases.
- Laundry detergent pods– pods are a newer type of laundry detergent that dissolves in water and don’t require any measuring or guesswork regarding how much you need for each load.
- Drying Rack – This is great for air-drying clothes, which can help save energy and prolong the life of your clothing by avoiding too much heat exposure.
- Clothesline – If you have access to an outdoor space, this is a great way to dry clothes since the sun provides natural bleaching and disinfecting effects.
- Dust cloths are essential for quickly and easily removing dust from surfaces without using any cleaning chemicals.
- Pledge or other furniture polish – A good quality furniture polish like Pledge can help protect wood surfaces from moisture damage and keep them looking shiny and new.
Living Room Essential Things to Buy For a New House
A living room is one of the most important rooms in a house because it’s where you spend time with family and entertain guests.
Here are some essential items that you’ll need to make your living room comfortable and inviting:
- Furniture– at least a sofa and a coffee table, but you can also add end tables, lamps, ottomans, etc.
- Rug– this will help define the space and make it more comfortable to walk on.
- Curtains or blinds– these are necessary for privacy and blocking out light.
- TV– this is optional but can be a great addition if you want something to watch when you’re relaxing in the living room.
Living Room Essentials Tips– Try using warm colors and soft lighting to create a cozy atmosphere.
Candles are a great way to add some ambience to the room. If you have a lot of natural light coming in from the windows, you might want to use sheer curtains instead of heavy ones to enjoy the sunlight still.
It’s also important to consider the room’s layout when you’re furnishing it. For example, if you want to create a conversation area, you’ll need to arrange the furniture accordingly.
- Coffee table
- End tables
- Sheer curtains
Dining Area Home Essentials
The dining area is another essential part of the house, and there are a few things that you’ll need to make it functional and comfortable.
- Table– this can be a formal dining table or a more casual kitchen table.
- Chairs– you’ll need enough chairs for everyone who will be using the table on a regular basis.
- Sideboard or buffet– this is a great piece of furniture to have for storing things like dishes, silverware, and linens.
- Bar cart– If you like to entertain guests, then a bar cart can be a handy addition to the dining room.
Dining Area Essentials Tips– If you’re tight on space, you can try using a drop-leaf table to be folded down when not in use.
Another space-saving tip is to use wall-mounted shelves for things like dishes and glassware.
Home Lighting Essential Things To Buy For A New House
Light bulbs are an essential part of any home lighting system. They come in various shapes, sizes, and wattages to suit your needs.
Light fixtures – Light fixtures are the devices that hold light bulbs in place. They come in a variety of styles to match your decor. Light fixtures include ceiling fixtures, wall fixtures, and floor lamps.
Dimmer switches are a great way to control the amount of light in a room. They can be used to create softer light for relaxing or a brighter light for working.
Lamps – Lamps are a type of light fixture that can be used to provide task lighting or ambient lighting in a room.
Storage Essential Things To Buy for a New House
Every home needs storage solutions to organize its belongings. Invest in some shelves, cabinets, or bins to keep things organized.
Here are some storage essentials you should buy for your new home that will help you keep your home organized:
- Shelves – Shelving is a great way to create more storage space in your home. You can use shelves to store books, dishes, and towels.
- Cabinets – Cabinets are another great option for creating more storage space in your home. You can use cabinets to store food, clothing, and linens.
- Bins – Bins are an excellent way to store things like toys, shoes, and holiday decorations. Bins come in various sizes and can be stacked on top of each other to save space.
- Label Maker – A label maker is a must-have for any home. You can use it to label things like bins, shelves, and cabinets. This will help you keep things organized and make it easier to find what you’re looking for.
- Storage Containers – Storage containers are essential for any home. They can be used to store things like food, clothing, and linens. Storage containers come in a variety of sizes and can be stacked on top of each other to save space.
Now that you know what storage essentials to buy for your new home, you can get started on organizing your things. With a little bit of effort, you can have a well-organized home that is easy to keep tidy.
Emergency Medical Supplies
Everyone should have a first aid kit in their home for emergencies. You never know when someone will get hurt, so keep your first aid stocked up on essentials like
- Gauze pads, and
- Antibiotic ointment ready at all times!
In addition to a first aid kit, you should also keep emergency medical supplies like
- Tylenol or Ibuprofen.
- Aspirin (if you’re not allergic).
- Benadryl (for insect bites or stings).
- EpiPen (if you’re allergic to bee stings).
- Cold/Heat packs
- Cough and cold meds
Tip: It’s best to purchase pre-made kits, but if possible, try putting together your own kit from scratch using items you already have lying around the house (e.g., medicine cabinet).
Outdoor Essential Things To Buy for a New House
If you’re lucky enough to have an outdoor space, there are a few things you’ll need to make the most of your home, both new and existing homeowners.
Here are some outdoor essentials you should buy for your new home:
- Outdoor Furniture – Chairs, tables, and umbrellas can make your outdoor space more inviting and comfortable.
- Outdoor cushions – Outdoor cushions can add comfort and style to your outdoor furniture.
- Outdoor rugs can help define your outdoor space and add color and pattern.
- Outdoor lighting – Outdoor lighting can help create a sense of ambience in your outdoor space.
- Pots and planters – Pots and planters are a great way to add color and life to your outdoor space.
- Trash Cans
- Weed Wacker
- Gardening Tools
- Snow Shovels
Home Safety Essential Things To Buy for a New House
Your home should be a safe haven for you and your family.
To ensure that your home is as safe as possible, there are a few things you should buy:
- Smoke detectors – Smoke detectors can help warn you of a fire in your home.
- Carbon monoxide detectors can help warn you of carbon monoxide leaks in your home.
- Fire extinguishers can help put out small fires in your home.
- Home security system – A home security system can help deter burglars and keep your family safe.
With a little bit of effort, you can have a safe and secure home that you can enjoy for years to come.
Essential household items may vary based on your lifestyle, but the basics are always a necessity. Have you moved into a new place recently? What did you find were the essential things to buy for a new house? Let us know in the comments below!
Other Home Related Resources
– Click here to read our blog’s other posts